I absolutely love the taste of oranges in-season, prepared with sea salt and a good extra virgin olive oil. They can be combined in a bowl, by simply swirling them around which creates a natural vinaigrette of emulsified juices, salt and oil. Delicious!
This easy preparation works as an appetizer, a juicy side (to a grilled fish for example) or as a main dish in a composed, healthy salad.
They are perfect alone, but also offer a fantastic base upon which you can build more complex flavors and textures.
Just a few ideas for great add-ons or add-ins are:
• Sliced red onions or scallions
• Black olives (one of my favorite varieties is Taggiasche from the Liguria region of Italy)
• Sliced fennel and fennel leaves
• Baby arugula or baby spinach
• Steamed crustacean such as shrimp, lobster or crab
Sometimes it's just that simple and so good for you too.